We love food. Almost all foods. Especially Greek food. Oh, but, we don’t like celery. So naturally, we were super excited to be invited to preview Souvla‘s (our favorite Greek gem in one of our favorite SF neighborhoods, Hayes Valley) #grunch (Greek brunch) menu last weekend. Well, that was a mouthful.
A little bit of background: Two summers ago, we spent two weeks in Greece. We lived off of gyros. No, really, we had no money. They were $3-4 each. Breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Upon returning, we made it our mission to find the best Greek-style gyro, with fries and all, in San Francisco. Enter Souvla, our favorite gyro joint, stepping up their brunch game beginning on Saturday, November 15th.
Let’s say “so naturally” again, we sound sophisticated. So naturally, when we previewed Souvla’s #grunch menu, we ate everything. Everything. We also drank a lot. Our favorites? The Breakfast Sandwich, made with scrambled eggs and lamb, radish, tomato, onion, avogolemono, garlic yogurt and feta cheese, AND Yianni’s Loukaniko, made with Halloumi cheese, hard-boiled egg, bell pepper, onion, harrisa-spiced yogurt, all served on a Souvla pita. OH, and just one more! There’s also a version of the popular food trend right now, toast, served Greek-style (literally, it’s like a pita churro!). Though, we’ll be honest, we’d save this for dessert.
And if the above is not enough to get you there, here are Seven reasons you should brunch at Souvla this weekend:
- Because, Greek food. Yeah, that. Because, Greek food.
- Because, you’ll find a mustachioed man around every corner. No, really, they have mustachioed men on the walls.
- Because, the whole space was basically created to be instagrammed. And that’s totally, like, a major priority, right? Hold on, we need to Snapchat this.
- Because, blue (da ba de da ba di). Greek beer comes in really cool blue bottles. Coffee and frozen yogurt are served in cute blue cups.
- Because, this might the first place in the Bay Area (the United States? THE WORLD?!) to serve #grunch (Greek brunch). Don’t quote us on that.
- Because, if you don’t make it for brunch, they also offer feta-brined (yeah… feta. brined. Soak that in for a second. Oh, you don’t like cheese? Oh, you’re vegan? Ummmm, oops) rotisserie chickens. And for Thanksgiving, they’ll be offering rotisserie turkeys that’ll make you even MORE thankful.
- Because #greekstyle means getting a gyro with fries. Inside. Inside the gyro. Packed inside the gyro. INSIDE. THE. GYRO. But, shhh, this is on the ‘secret menu,’ so order it while whispering.